Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tornado Watch 2010


We are under a Tornado Watch until 8pm! omg! Is that the one that is serious, or the one where it's like "Hey, you might have this really horrible thing, or not. Maybe. We're just covering our asses."

But it's raining really hard now and is supposed to rain all day. The sky is quite black, which is unusual.

I remember being little, say seven years old, and the weatherman breaking in to my after-school show (Frog Hollow, anyone?) announcing there was a tornado in the area and that everyone should go into an interior room before windows blew in and glass spikes embedded themselves in your throat. That freaked me out big time. So I packed my favorite stuffed animals, wrapped them up into a bundle with my blankie. I hugged the bundle to my chest while I sat against a wall and waited for dad to tell me where to go. He came in, looked at me and then at the television. He watched the weatherman tell tales of tornado destruction. Then he crouched down to look me in the face and said -- seriously, now -- "don't worry. Tornados only hit trailer parks." Then he left the room.

Such a soothing presence, that one.

Anyway, Tornado Watch 2010! It's on!
(I hope there aren't any tornados for real though)

1 comment:

Trueb said...

I just read this blog to your father. He said, "Well, it's true. Tornadoes only hit trailer parks. Except in Arkansas." He can't quite explain why Arkansas is an exception.

Just remember you have to go to an interior space with no glass in it - not even mirrors - on the lowest level of your home.

I am the unreliable witness to my own existence