Sunday, June 20, 2010

This Debate Must Be Settled!


Christian maintains that anywhere I go in the U.S. besides North Carolina and South Carolina, no one would know what Shag means. AND, that they would only think of the British slang meaning.

I say NAY and no. I take the position that Shag is well-known as a dance, if not a kind of music.

He has thrown down the challenge that I have to ask ten of our friends to see if they know the real meaning of Shag is beach music and (secondarily) a dance. That is his challenge.

I know that I am right and yet, I can only worry that this will go the way of the Frog Hollow challenge. I spent the whole first year in Vermont asking people if they watched Frog Hollow when they were kids. No one had any idea. I would sing the theme song and do a dance which was endlessly amusing to Christian. Then it turned out that Frog Hollow was a local production from WRAL, and only kids around Durham would have been able to see it.

While I was sad that more kids couldn't see the majesty of Frog Hollow back in the day, I was more sad that I lost the argument. So that makes it very important that I do not loose this debate. I'm right. Right?

No comments:

I am the unreliable witness to my own existence