Sunday, April 13, 2008

Murakami's Cuties










So these are the sorts of things that opened the Murakami show. Lots of cute characters. Lots of big eyes with concentric circles and happy flowers. There were lots of middle-aged New Yorkers and their kids. I guess this show has been marketed as being family-friendly--pop art accessible to kids. They even had placards for the pieces at kid eye-level. I saw lots of moms asking their little tykes, "Can you find the happiest flower?" Things like that. And the kids were fucking going nutso with all the bright colors and shapes. It was sort of funny to watch kids run into the flower-papered room (left picture above) and throwing themselves against the wall, practically licking it. But in my mind, I kept thinking that despite all this, the show is not actually a kid-friendly show. Evidence for this follows . . . .

No comments:

I am the unreliable witness to my own existence