Monday, July 26, 2010

Ways To Hide From The Heat In North Carolina

Hack reporters do every summer on the local television news:
"With a heat index of 110, how will you beat the heat?"

It's a stupid question. Either you have air conditioning, in which case you use it. Or you do not have air conditioning and you have to go to places that do have it. Like movie theaters or malls. But there is no beating of the heat: Mother Nature makes it damn clear that she is Boss Lady. It is only with the advent of air conditioning that people have thronged to places that were previously considered uninhabitable by civilized society (like, say, Florida).

So, let me be clear. Humans have no say over the heat, humidity and heat index. There is no fight night, no battle between Heat and Humans.

The question should be "With a heat index of 110, where will you hide?"
Besides the aforementioned movie theater and mall,
A dip in any body of water: ocean or pool.
Vast amounts of frozen custard
Sod houses (my mother swears by a good Soddie)

By all means, leave your hidey holes with me. I will keep them safe.

3 comments:

Randy Gupton said...

Easy for you to say when you're sitting in Vermont. BTW ... have you seen Larry, Darryl or Darryl lately?

Hannah True said...

Um, I was totally in North Carolina last week. And your joke is twenty years old.

Randy Gupton said...

My jokes are like a good broken in pair of your favorite shoes. There's nothing new about them. They create a quiet comfort, nonetheless.

Thanks for stopping by.

I am the unreliable witness to my own existence