Sunday, July 18, 2010

Effects Of A Sleepless Night, Part Two

Aside from being tired, it really wasn't that bad today: no close calls while driving, or anything like that. I think I am a fine driver but on reflection I suppose everyone thinks they are a good driver.

There were some raspberries ready, but lots of them need more time to ripen. I picked about twenty raspberries and three blueberries.

I did get up to North Bennington, to Whitman's Feed because they have fantastic plants there. I bought the following:
five small round containers of leggy silver verbena
four purple heliotrope
eight creamy yellow snapdragons.

I've always loved snapdragons and the danger in the name; the promise that something will come to get you so quickly you won't even have a chance of escape. Whoever named that flower did a fantastic job. I planted all the new flowers in the front garden, despite the heat and the prep work. I was done in ninety minutes, but it was a hot ninety minutes. I went for a dip in the pool -- dirty hands, feet and all to cool off.

The skunk did not come back today, thank goodness. But the woodchuck is still evasive. I hope that none of the nocturnal creatures dig up the newly planted flowers looking for grubs. It seems to be a favorite past-time for one of the creatures, It waits until the flowers are settled in the bed and then comes out to dig them up. I take it as a personal affront and I assume the flowers do as well.

That is how I am without sleep: somehow the small slights of the day seem personal, and that makes me cranky. That's it. But I do not wish to push this experiment further to see how I will be with minimal sleep over several days. There might be a time when that is reality -- why try it now? Oh sleep, will you come tonight, please?

No comments:

I am the unreliable witness to my own existence