Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sorry for the Delay


I meant to post pics as soon as they came in, but something got in the way on Sunday: another debilitating headache.

The pain actually woke me up and I was like "no no no! This is supposed to be over!" So my Ma said "enough with the ER, it's time to see a neurologist." So Monday I called the two neurologists that were recommended and actually got a same-day appointment with one.

The neurologist asked me lots of questions and actually listened. I told him about the headaches and he said "I don't think they are migraines. Doesn't fit the pattern."

WHAAAA?????

Then he did this thing to try to trigger the headache: he rubbed the tenderest parts of my head (above the neck and behind the ear) really hard. He kept asking
"does that hurt? Does that trigger the headache?" and I'm like
"Owwww! Please stop. It hurts."
But it didn't actually trigger the headache. This happened about three times, with him pressing more intensely each time and me saying something like
"I wish you would stop. God, that hurts. But no, it's not triggering the headache." It was the same quality of pain, but not the same pain as the headache.

So then he does a couple of tests, and then says
"You have occipital neuralgia"
WHAAAA?

My right side muscles -- shoulder and neck -- have tightened so much they pinch the occipital nerve. I'm relieved that I have a specific diagnosis and since I'm now a few days into the new routine for healing, I feel much much better. I'm taking ibuprofen and doing physical therapy exercises. But mostly, I have to rest and not use my right arm too much.

There it is: not migraine, but occipital neuralgia. I would have never guessed a pinched nerve. Would you? Maybe.


No comments:

I am the unreliable witness to my own existence