Friday, May 7, 2010

Jokes with Nurses

So I have little veins that roll away from needles and "resist" puncture. The upside is that it makes it hard to ever consider a move towards intravenous drug use as a lifestyle. The downside is that it makes it hard for nurses to set up an IV.

Yesterday my nurse couldn't get a vein -- both arms were tried and both arms failed (initially). So I'm in the hospital, in the bed, with my sunglasses on. As he tried again I told him my veins were hard to puncture. In a teeny-tiny voice with a Spanish accent I said "we are Hannah's veins. We revolt against the unjust colonization by needles. We roll away! We roll away!"

My mom laughed. (thank you Mom.) The nurse wanted to laugh, but I don't think he felt it was proper to laugh. But for reals, I hate getting stuck, so I am bound to make jokes out of it. It makes getting poked with needles a little easier.

Later Martino, my nurse, asked me about Sarah, my sister, and we had a moment together where I cried a little and he hugged me. I might send him a card because he was great.

No comments:

I am the unreliable witness to my own existence