Saturday, November 21, 2009

I Don't Know What To Think About This

I've just heard about this thing called Mad Pride. It's not about people who are just super-cool with themselves and their lifestyle. No, it's like people who are schizophrenic and bi-polar rejecting their meds and considering their mental health conditions to be "dangerous gifts" instead of illnesses. Mad Pride activists are working to get larger acceptance of mental diversity.

And I can understand that these people, probably their whole lives, have been looked down on and reject the pressure to be normal by taking pills. On the other hand, I'm not sure if just avoiding sugar and doing yoga is going to help them find some equilibrium. Newsweek does an article on it here.

There is also a slideshow of art. Now, I am into art and trauma and all that, but frankly, if this was the stuff I saw in my head, I don't think I'd consider my mental state a "dangerous gift," but a "scary as hell, please dope me up" kind of gift. But that is just me.

No comments:

I am the unreliable witness to my own existence