Saturday, February 6, 2010

So There's This Thing


Yesterday I started feeling horrible whilst Marie and I were wallpapering. I'd had a pain in my lower left side for a day or so, but I usually try to convince myself that if I go ahead and do normal things (wallpapering) then my body will just adjust to normalcy and everything will be normal.

Except it wasn't.

I told Marie and, trying to be all independent was about to drive myself to the hospital. Except my car wouldn't start. So I had to do my least favorite thing in the world: ask for help. Marie dropped everything and drove me to the doctor's, then the hospital and waited until I got into intake in the ER and Christian showed up. And you know, if Marie hadn't of done that, I don't know that I would have made it. I really needed her and didn't even know it.

Christian and I spent hours there: physical tests ("does it hurt when I push really hard on your lower left side? Does it hurt when I push really hard on your stomach? What about when I push hard and release?" "You know what? It all hurts!") I did contrast swallows and a CAT scan that showed it might be the appendix or it might be some other kind of major digestive problem. They ruled out ectopic pregnancy, by the way. But after another day of observation and testings, we don't know anything more.

One of the things I had to learn to accept when Sarah got sick is that doctors know quite a lot, but there are mysteries that they just do not know. And there is a hell of a lot they guess at. So when they say "it could be appendicitis, it could be something else. It could be lots of things, we're not sure. But we don't think its life-threatening at this juncture." I believe them. It's not ideal, but its better than a wrong diagnosis. They gave me a couple things to help, and if I wind up in more pain I am to go back tout suite.

So Im taking it slow and low until the pain goes all the way away -- it is still there.

But then listen, Christian and I come home; I'm groggy and my head hurts and body hurts -- and there is my car! It turned out that Cliff saw it was a loose battery wire and fixed it and Dave and Marie shuttled it here. Isn't that great? But Im thankful that wire was loose because I really needed help, and that loose wire made me ask for it.

So that's all. No more hospital trips. Nothing big. No condition to report. Unless someone reviews my case and comes up with a diagnosis. But for now, all is quiet and I'm hoping things get settled right and the pain all goes away.

2 comments:

kendra said...

eek. feel better soon. i am the mistress of mystery ailments. my mother would have the following advice: take a bath and eat a steak. it couldn't hurt, right?

t-ruth said...

Hey Hannah, I'm glad you seem to be ok. Any chance you just wrenched things around skiing and/or falling? Muscular tension can mess you up more than you might imagine, has been my experience. Anyway, I'm glad nothing's worse than what you report, anyway.

love,
r.

I am the unreliable witness to my own existence