Monday, February 1, 2010

So Look, These Are The Facts. Deal.


I have a readership of literally possibly ten people and I am cool with that. I know that one of them should probably not be reading this because it probably falls under the whole "internet stalking" thing.

So this is a message, a message that I can say because this is my space to say such things, to that person. The other nine of you can take a break.
-----------------
To The Person Who Cannot Leave it Alone:

If you are really so bent on purging me from every aspect of your life, then perhaps we should go ahead and purge the marriage and send back the Green Card? I mean, if that is your idea of "civil," (erasing everything) I would be happy to make the appropriate calls. I've noticed a pattern with you lot that if things (or people) disappoint, you just airbrush them out as though they never existed. You might want to talk to a professional about that perfectionist streak you seem to have.

Personally, I am just trying to remember the good times. But you -- you make it very hard, and you do not even know the whole story of what happened. You forget that I was the one who listened to you while you cried, while your son ignored you. You forget that your husband loved me as a daughter. You don't care that killed me inside to watch someone I loved die in the exact same way: knowing what would happen next and knowing how it would end. You don't even know his last words to me.

One last thing: every aspect of your son's new life seems to hinge on him being in Durham, at Duke: new job, new bride, new life. So some good came out of that. You should at least respect that his new life comes from the remnants of the old. Unless you are not capable of seeing things in any sort of bigger picture at all, which I thought -- had been told countless times -- that Canadians excelled understanding all the various aspects of these things.

Leave me alone. Live your life. Accept I am living mine differently and that I do not believe in the Stalinist purging of the past. (No one really forgot Trotsky, did they?) It's been two years and you are STILL internet stalking me? Do you realize how crazy that is?

Oh, and let me know if you want both the ties and traces of our marriage to disappear and I'll make those phone calls so your son can start over with his Green Card with his new wife.

Yours Warmly,
Hannah

-------------------------------



No comments:

I am the unreliable witness to my own existence