Wednesday, August 11, 2010

August 6, 2010






There is only one August sixth a year, and I’m glad this one has past.

For the most part I live my life. I have moved on, as some obliviously cheerful people put it and yet on the evening of August 5th I still have to reach out to hear my parents’ voices. I consistently miss Mother’s Day, but if I do not call my mother by evening on August 6th we would both feel empty. August 6th  is the measure by which I gauge how far I have come or not come in grieving my sister.

1:20 am on August 6, 2007 my sister Sarah, age 34, passed. Funny euphemism, passed. It’s what you say when you can’t say died. The truth is, she had glioblastoma multiforme brain cancer. She died from it.

You don’t hear about this often enough. People die. It is part of the that cycle: your body ceases to function and goes on to (possibly) become nutrients for plants and the animals that eat them. Humans in turn eat the animals and suddenly there is a food chain. The general is easy enough: people die.

But the specific? There is a term that begins to name the specific, “actively dying.” That means the body is shutting down. When a person dies in this specific way, of this specific cancer, the brain shuts down the body in a haphazard fashion. Body fluids flood the chest and lungs producing a breathing sound that makes the living quake. The death rattle—the doctors say it is painless, but it doesn’t sound painless. Recognition, higher brain functions, movement are gone. The heart is beating at 150, and still the blood barely circulates. All that is left is the inert body and crackling breath, slower and slower, then a sigh, and … over.

Too much? Yes, probably.  

A different specificity: Sarah did not die alone. My parents, an aunt, an uncle and I were in the house taking turns by her bedside. It turned out, my uncle was on watch when it happened; he held her hand, smoothed her hair and told her she was beautiful (that is the way I imagine it). Rattling went to whisper. She stopped actively dying and simply died.

It’s still not clear to me what you do when a person that defined your life leaves forever, a sister, someone you expect to be with you the rest of your life, someone you fight with, compete with and still cheer on.

I thought that perhaps this August 6th would be different. It was, but not in the way I had hoped: I wanted to be able to tell funny stories, give a toast, honor her by having adventures with friends someplace new. Instead I cried until it became an unsettling sob. Christian and our friends held me and comforted me, each in their own way. This August 6th is different only because grief hit me in the evening instead of the morning. That’s not much, but it’s still a little different from last year.

I ache for my sister; I wonder where she is now; I wish I had been a better person when she knew me; I wish she could see the turns my life has taken. I wish she knew Christian.

I wish, I wish, I wish.






















5 comments:

t-ruth said...

o Hannah, I'm so, so sorry.

love,
Ruth

Heather and John said...

Aw Han, what a hard day.
I'm glad you were able to write about it.

Unknown said...

Death is a constant reminder to live your life well each day. If there is any upside at all - Sarah did, indeed, live her life fully each day.

I cannot even imagine what it is like for Mike, Barbara and you. It's hard enough for me.

Unknown said...

Anniversaries are tough. Hugs to you and the folks.

It get easier every year--though incrementally so. My mom calls it "the dinosaur part of the brain." Every year around the beginning of June, we start to get a little edgy, flaky, or sometimes extra emotional.

My dad died June 6, his birthday is the 8th, mine is the 15th and Father's Day is around there, too. Sometimes fate is cruel and Father's Day and my bday collide--as it did in 2003, the year he died, and every five years from then on. The last time that happened I couldn't even get out of bed.

Every year around June 1 I start to brace myself for the onslaught of memories--most of them happy, some of them sad and involving his last hospital stay. J tries to be supportive, but it's hard to explain what it's like to have this sort of vacancy where someone so important used to be. Pictures aren't substitutes for hugs and conversations, you know?

Without fail, my mom or I have to remind the other that even though at this point 7 years have passed, the dino-brain puts us back near the place we were 6/6/03. We go back to being vulnerable and feeling some of the pain all over again in a deja vu way. Or we become the equivalent of zombies just kinda walking through the day. It gets a little easier each year, but it's hard in other ways depending on how much I wish I could have shared or what happens to be coinciding with these anniversaries.

The dino brain is unavoidable. It's the emotional/grief equivalent of being an Easter/Christmas Christian. You get the most intense form of grieving done on a single day in a manner that unavoidably makes you feel overwhelmed by what could have been. It's cruel, but it also demonstrates how much you loved your sister (and how much she loved you.)

It will get easier. xo.

Mrs. Delicious said...

Wow, Casey said that all really well.

Every October 13th is horrible for me, even though that specific October 13th was almost 26 years ago. I feel for you, sweetie.

Those photos are all priceless. Thank you so much for posting them.

Love you so much.
Laura

I am the unreliable witness to my own existence