Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What I'm Listening To Now/ September Mediascape



I have to make a confession.

Every month Christian steals my ipod and puts a new mix on it so I have a new mix every month for the past two years. I love it. It's a labor of love (my friend Sheila says if it's not a labor of love it's just labor) but it's also the only way I hear a full spectrum of tons of different songs. Left to my own devices I would latch onto a handful of albums and listen to them over and over. But these mixes give me lots of different songs to listen to over and over and over. I think the term for people like me are "latchers:" we find songs we love and work the tar out of them. That being said, here are the songs I'm lovin' on now:

Sleigh Bells -- Rill Rill

Quasi -- Rockabilly Party

The Hold Steady -- Hurricane J

Karen O and The Kids -- Hideaway (Oh man, it makes me cry)

Buffy Sainte-Marie -- Helpless

The Roots -- How I Got Over


Podcasts (available for free on iTunes)

The Bugle (From Times Online.uk) -- The Daily Show's John Oliver and his comedy partner Andy Szaltzman give the rundown on world news. Be prepared for Andy's puns (they are horrible).

The Pod F. Tompkast -- Paul F. Tompkins plays the (thin) conceit that it is nighttime on the internet and anything can happen. And if you are at all interested in what might happen in a creative collaboration between Andrew Lloyd Weber and Ice-T, take a listen. He's a comedian at the top of his game.


Television

We've just wrapped up True Blood Season 2. (I don't want to hear anything about season three -- yet.) We've got other shows lined up: Season Five of The Wire, Weeds and Big Love.

Books

I'm into The Tummy Trilogy by Calvin Trillian and Mark Twain. I'm trying to figure out different techniques of local writing. Christian and I are reading Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon together (okay, he reads while I do bake or do yoga) and I love Pynchon's take on those two. Or rather, I love Christian's take on Pynchon's writing.

Last and most importantly, there is a review of Christian's book! And on a pop-culture site, no less! Very cool indeed.



2 comments:

Les Savy Ferd said...

terribly jealous of your mixtape gifts. 'Latcher' is a good word, and I am their King. I will spin nothing but a single record for weeks at the expense of, well, everything else.

Love to hear what you and C have to say about the Wire. Lara and I will no doubt see you soon.
-douglas

Hannah True said...

Yay! Latchers unite! I actually feel sheepish about showing Christian my play counts. His are like six or seven. Mine push towards the three digits. But he makes truly incredible mixes every month. How is the move-in going?

Yes, lets get together soon!

I am the unreliable witness to my own existence